Friday, June 17, 2011

Anna in China! - Dialogue with Man on Airplane

What is this? *fortune cookie*
----------------
Setting: Airplane; mealtime.
Language: Mandarin Chinese
----------------
Chinese Man: What is this? *hands me fortune* (More importantly, why is it in my food?)

Me: Uhhhhhh... (Dang it, how do you say "proverb" in Chinese???) It's...a smart or clever sentence that...white people...like to read. And... they put it in the cracker.

Chinese man: *points to my fortune cookie*

Me: Yes, there is one in mine too.

Chinese man: *disbelieved look*

Me: (Fine, I'll show you.) *crack open fortune cookie*

Chinese man: *ruffles brow; shrugs; continues eating*
---------------
Disclaimer: This dialogue was actually more awkward and drawn out than I have depicted in this blogpost.

1 comment:

  1. Anna, this is hilarious!!! <3 keep us updated!!! I can't wait to hear about your adventures in China :).

    ReplyDelete