Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Time Flies



Hard to believe it has already been a month.  The project is only 2 weeks from being over....but I am not going to worry too much about that right now.

Last saturday I went to the Mexico vs Japan game at Estadio Mineirao, it was one hell of a time. I must admit, I have gained some respect for the game of soccer while here in Brazil. So long as I don't see anyone taken off the field on a stretcher for a stubbed toe or bruised ego.

The fans are so passionate about the game, and being at the stadium was an experience of it's own. Songs and chants, as well as the wave, kept you entertained if at times the game did not.
After the game, my Irish bud, Conner and I got lost trying to find our bus stop. We ended up walking through the campus of Universade Federal de Minas Gerais, which was completely deserted. We knew there were protests going on somewhere because we could here explosives and loud chants nearby. We walked to the entrance of the campus, where we were greeted by hundreds if not thousands of police and members of the Brazilian military. A little nervous, as it was just two foreign kids lost, looking for a bus, I went up to the officers and asked if we could exit through them. Good thing he understood me, he walked us through the military who looked like they were prepared for war, and unlocked the heavily guarded gate so Connor and I could exit.

As soon as we left the University entrance it was clear what had just happened, broken glass, huge stones, burning objects and remnants of tear gas and rubber bullets litered the area. These military police had just protected the University from the protest, which appeared to be more of a riot this particular evening. Connor and I followed the protest route, where we could see explosions, fires, helicopters, students and police not far in front of us. I asked a few people where we could find the buses, since everything seemed shut down in the area. They warned us not to follow the protest because it had been quite violent, so we found an alternate route...through some neighborhoods. An hour later we found our way to the nearest mall where we located our buses and went home.

The government is starting to realize that they have no choice but to make some changes if they want these protests to stop. More people are joining, and not always the right people. Vandals and young kids looking for social events are now participating, which can be counter productive for everyone.  There will be another protest today after the game, since Brazil is playing Uruguay in Belo Horizonte this afternoon. Hopefully everyone keeps a cool head, and things do not escalate.

Futebol AMERICANO


On a more cheerful note, this week I began teaching the kids a hybrid version of American Football. I have taught them all the basics of the game: catching, throwing, snapping, kicking and running. However, the sport is both too violent and too complicated to actually teach them in one week. Instead, I created a game that is a mix of football, rugby, ultimate frisbee and handball. They love it.

Basic rules:

1) The object of the game is to score in the goal (soccer goal)
2) Only using your hands, throw the ball to your teammates to advance forward
3) You can throw any direction
4) You may only take 3 steps once you catch the ball
5) Defenders can try to strip and intercept the ball
6) After a goal, the goalie of the scoring team must punt (kickoff) the ball to the other team, who catches the ball and advances it.

That is the basic idea. It is easy, fun, and I think you should play it.

I only have to work three days this week with the kids because Brazil is playing a game today (no school throughout the city), and tomorrow is our day off. Furthermore, friday is our principals birthday, so there is a school-wide party....this is fun.

I'm running out of time and money here, which is sad. But I'm looking to fit everything in that I can while the two still exist. And I am already starting to think of a possible return plan to Brazil post grad...but only time will tell.

Live it up my friends.


- Brandis

No comments:

Post a Comment