Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Kenya - Working at LivelyHoods

So the reason why I am in Kenya is to see the Great Migration…just kidding! The real reason is that I heard about a nonprofit called LivelyHoods, which operates in Kenya, and became really interested in working there over the summer. I had never worked for a nonprofit before and so it was a good opportunity to see firsthand what challenges a nonprofit faces in a developing world and put what I learned (I was a Global Affairs major, in the economic development track) in college in perspective.

A little about LivelyHoods – it trains Kenyan youth to be sales agents for products such as solar panel powered lamps and more efficient charcoal stoves. The Kenyan youth are able to have a livelihood, while the customers in Nairobi gain products that improve their environment and that help them save money in the long run. My role in this nonprofit is a little bit of everything. We are currently trying to figure out the best way to expand and sell more products so that the company can become self-sufficient. I am also working on creating a low-tech sales management system that will help the sales agents record their daily activity when they are out and about in the field. My favorite part of working at LivelyHoods is definitely meeting all the sales agents and staff. Many of these sales agents have dreams to become chefs, or fashion designers, but are unable to afford the education required for that role. One inspiring figure named Alex was an orphan who worked his way up in this nonprofit to now be a sales leader and trainer. Talking to them everyday reminds me why it is so important to keep helping – even if it is one youth at a time.


There are many challenges in running a nonprofit, and even more when trying to run one in a developing country with a corrupt government, so I am really impressed by the tireless effort of all the people working in this organization. I just started a trial of the sales management system that I created with 6 sales agents so I am excited to start hearing some feedback next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment