Thursday, June 26, 2014

Weeks 2-3 in Kenya

The good news? I've been having an amazing time in Kenya. The bad news? I've been enjoying myself so thoroughly that I've forgotten to update this blog for a few weeks. After one month in Nairobi, I've had more adventures than I could possibly recount in one post, but I'll attempt to convey the highlights.

My second weekend here, I traveled with four other interns to Amboseli National Park, a game reserve (and UNESCO Biosphere site) near the border of Tanzania. From the wild baboons running freely around our tents to the breathtaking view of Mt. Kilimanjaro, this place is unlike any other. Though I believe strongly that Kenya is a country with much more to offer than tourist attractions, I can now understand why thousands of travelers fly across the world each year solely to experience this sort of safari.

Back in Nairobi, teaching has been going well. The children have been taking midterm exams, so many days I do not have much to do other than supervise and ensure a quiet testing atmosphere. When not completing examinations, my class has been working on telling time (the difference between 'quarter past' and 'quarter to' proving especially difficult), division, Kiswahili, English grammar and spelling, and environmental science, among other topics. I've been enjoying getting to know the children more and am still working on learning names, which is challenging in a class of over 35! Originally I assumed the class couldn't be more than 30, but after a quick headcount this week I realized the burden placed on each teacher in the school.

Last weekend, I traveled with the other interns to visit Fourteen Falls, a natural landmark boasting fourteen distinct waterfalls along the Althi River near the town of Thika. With a guide's help, we all held hands and crossed the river by foot until we reached a large flat space in-between two waterfalls. After our guide effortlessly backflipped into the water below, he asked if any of us would like to do the same. In the spirit of adventure, I squeezed my eyes shut and jumped off the stone outcropping into the basin below. The exhilaration was certainly worth the subsequent chill of the water!

Heretofore unmentioned events of the past few weeks also include market visits, excessive amounts of World Cup viewing, and surviving sickness in Kenya! Look for another post soon(ish) for more. 

2 comments:

  1. So proud to be your Mom! I am amazed you jumped and more amazed you were the first to do so. Love you more and more..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so beautiful and amazing, and look at you brave girl jumping off that cliff!! Thanks so very much for the card for Riley's birthday, I will post pictures in the event of him opening them all. I am hoping to get a video too. Be safe and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete